Double Trouble

Double Trouble
Having a fun ride in the laundry basket.

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Bloody boys

When Jack was about 8 months old he climbed out of his crib and landed face first on the uncarpeted floor. Being a first time Mom at the time, I was scared. I didn't know that little kids' noses are really hard to break because their bones are soft til about 2. So we made an ER trip. That was my first experience with a little boy having a bloody nose, or bloody anything for that matter.

Well, now a days I don't just have to worry about one nut. Why oh why would God only give me one crazy kid. I already know how to deal with it, so he added another. Nowadays, I'm a pro. A couple of months ago, Luke and Jack were "measuring" with the tape measurer, when it was snapped closed. It sliced Luke's little finger right at the knuckle. It had filled up a papertowel and finally the bleeding stopped with some ice cubes. I knew he would rip it open again because it was pretty deep and come on, he's a Snyder boy! I knew a trip to the hospital was stupid, so I looked around and couldn't find what I needed, so I called up my friend, got what I needed came back and applied the miracle cure...SUPER GLUE! That's right, I super glued his cut closed after I cleaned it with peroxide. I know crazy mom, but I knew what would happen if I didn't.

This evening, Luke being a big boy, climbed on the couch. I can't tell you how many times we've yelled at the boys to not climb on the couch. Jack is known to do somersaults off the arm of the couch, they both like to climb over and dangle. Tonight Luke climbed over the back and just fell to the ground. Normally, he would just get up, go around and try again (unless he got caught by the mean Mommy!). This time however he started crying. Since we were webcamming with my Mom, Zach picked him up and brought him over to me. We're sitting there minding our own business when the boy opens his mouth and blood starts pouring out of his mouth! Since we're now pros at this, I quickly checked to make sure his teeth were ok and it was just something small. Zach walked into the kitchen, got some papertowels and ice. Turns out the kid bit his tongue on impact. He now has two little gashes on the top of his tongue. After sucking on an ice cube for 2 minutes, he's up and playing. I'm now so good, that the only blood is a dime size on my shirt.

The best advice anyone has given me about raising kids came from my Mother-in-law. Before Jack was born she told me that "babies bounce". That simple. I won't tell you how much I've repeated this to myself over the years! Kids are amazing. When they fall, your reaction (gasp, freak out, etc) usually scare them more than the actual fall. If you've been around me with the boys, I usually tell them to brush it off. I do my freak out inside because if I'm acting like a crazy person, who's in charge? (Sorry for the little parenting tip, but I've had a couple of people ask me why my boys don't cry unless they're really hurt.)

I'm hoping to start blogging more often, but if I wrote down every insane thing my boys did, I would be sitting at the computer all day everyday because it's never ending.

1 comment: